Blessings Disguised In Setbacks


It is finished! I have everything for work permit and VISA taken care of. Although it took over five months of signing, waiting, VISA runs, doctors appointments, bopping from this building to that building, I have finally breached the end of the wild goose chase. Praises!

In the waiting I had to postpone my trip to Khon Kaen. I was discouraged about this but sometimes when we have to wait, other opportunities are calling our name. A few weeks ago I saw a sign go up. It said 'Grace Bible Church'. It was on the main road right outside of campus along a strip of buildings. I've had plans to go but every weekend this month I have been traveling. This was the weekend to go. Since I was waiting on the university to finalize paperwork I knew this was the opportunity to go.

What I thought was a setback to my plans turned out to be a blessing in disguised of being with God's community. 

I went to church that morning. It was a family church of about 15 people. I knew the Lord had brought me here to worship with this beautiful group of followers. The senior pastor, Bpen speaks a little English. We all began to worship songs and songs that I knew such as "Blessed Be Your Name". I worshipped in English and they did in Thai. At times I would attempt to sing in Thai- words that were repeated a lot. Worshipping in a foreign country took me back to mission trips to Mexico during good Ol' high school.

In the presence of God, singing together, we can change nations can't we?

We listened to Tik preach and took communion with broken crackers and grape juice.
Sitting next to me, Bpen would interpret parts of Tik's message.  They were simple phrases but they were profound and a reminder for my heart as I follow Christ.

"He looks at our hearts, not what is on outside."

"Humility is surrendering."

And at one point, we looked at each other as I waited for her interpretation and she said, "...you know in your spirit" I laughed and nodded. I think she was unsure of how to interpret part of the message. But it's true, the Holy Spirit can communicate and be present even through a language barrier.

One of the first passages we looked at was Philippians 2: 1-5

" So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy of being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant then yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves which is yours in Christ Jesus"

My upper body just sunk as I read those words. A few days prior I was skyping with a dear friend and expressing my struggles at work. She respond I'll pray humility. Lo and behold the Lord is trying to get through to me by Phil 2. His word spoke directly to my heart reflecting my circumstances. And boy, it is not easy to posture myself in humility amongst those who aren't.  It takes discipline to surrender by humbling myself before the Lord in the heat of my pride. The Lord is working on my heart.

Bpen cooked lunch for all of us Pad Ka Prao Moo (fried rice with basil and pork) and vegetable soup. I got to know Tik, Tik's wife and Bpen a little better. Bpen told me she would help me with my Thai and even preach in English when I come back. I sincerely hope I do come back. That is, depending on what the near future holds due to certain circumstances at school.

After five months of living in Chataburi I can finally saw that now, I am building community. It has not been easy by no means. I have been stretched and battled with feelings of loneliness. Knowing very well that I am not. I have strived to get out and meet others because I do not have a community of english teachers like other schools have. With a few other friends in town, a teacher friend in a nearby town and now a part of a church family I will keep investing in these relationships.


Grace Bible Church




- - -
Tomorrow before the roosters wake up, I head to Khon Kaen to be in the village with the organization called Breakthrough. A woman after the heart of God named Cori Wittman has begun long term mission in the Northeast. She along with a handful of other volunteers and locals continue to cultivate a community to prevent teens at risk of going into the sex industry. She is in God's business of building them up into leaders to give them a better future. I CANNOT WAIT to serve and be in the presence of God with this innovative community. 

Prayers for safe travels, that the Lord would open my eyes and my heart to those within the community and for His favor in a potential open door into mission. I am all in at this point. 

"May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations. Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!..." Psalm 67


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Adam and Allie

Uke Time is Time Well Spent

The Universal Language