Posture Your Heart

I was sitting uncomfortably on the charter bus, like the Hunch Back himself, as we plow down the road back to Bangkok. We were at a rest stop. I looked out the window at a vacant concrete parking lot. My mind was wandering. What's new?

isolated.
angry.
fireworks of accusation.
disorder of thought.
pointing fingers.
not understanding.
the enemy of my soul emphasizing imperfections
running around teasing the healed parts.

How many times do I have to put situations on the Altar for me to understand it is not my battle to fight? How many prayers does it take to realize His higher ways?!

From behind me, hands press on the sore spots of my shoulder blades. Fingers move in pulsed circles. It was Carol, the 'cool mom'/teacher/massager/yoga instructor/friend who started giving me a thai massage.

Instantly she could read my body language by how I held my upper body . As she lengthen my (already 'giraffe') neck and opened my shoulders to their healthy place of where they were supposed to be, I could feel all the tension release. responding to her movements by letting go of physical control and trusting her fingers' judgement.

I closed my eyes as she worked her strong fingers into those strained spots. As she spoke of my vulnerabilities by reading my body language, tears seeped through the crevices of my eyes, nodding my head at her truthful words.

Holding my breath. Mute. Still.

"Amy, your shoulders are caved in closer to your heart. You are protecting yourself."

As I focus on my breaths, she aligns my body to mirror a right spirit.

Her hands shift my shoulders to the unfamiliar position they long to dwell in.

"Think of this spot, Amy. Open your heart to all that is beautiful in Thailand. Picture your heart open to maintain this posture. It might feel like you are sticking out your chest (and it does) however, focus on this right posture. "

I work well with visuals. Right posture is a process. Visuals are a guide towards it.

Time and time again, I have reinforced this visual since I have been in Chantaburi. One movement after the other; I open the heart by lengthening the neck, aligning the shoulder blades to meet each other and taking a deep breath.

On a four and half hour bus ride, who knew that it was possible to receive the most dynamic massage I have ever experienced.

I continue to posture my heart to all the warm, willing and beautiful unseen aspects of Thailand.

God answered a prayer that day. Enough was enough of a lingering downward spiral. He knows how to personally get through... in the form an unexpected massage.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Adam and Allie

Uke Time is Time Well Spent

The Universal Language