To: My Bonus Dad

At the airport, I locked my hands around his waist closed my eyes and held on.... and held on to the person who has established right relationship in my life. Words cannot express- gosh I can't even write right now... words cannot express how much I value our friendship. 

I can remember the first time I met you. I was six? seven? I had just woken up from a nap in the front seat of the car, turned to my right and there you were nervously smiling and waiving through the window.

I wanted nothing to do with you, really. 

At an early age, the fairytale mindset was proven unlikely. I didn't know it at the time, but my parental circumstances were not as similar to Cinderella's like I thought they were. My Mirror Mirror on the wall reflected the 'evil' step parent to be, kind, respectful, charismatic, compassionate, funny (understatement), Godly, giving, intuitive, selfless, warm, strong in spirit and a straight up honest human being.

With each kiss-and-ride, each morning you had to endure the miserable routine of getting me up for high school, each slope we've skied, each lunch you packed, each time you would crack my toes, each 'motor cycle' ride I would take on your lap, each tulip we planted, each kayak trip we've taken, each heart to heart we have had over the last few years as our conversations have matured (as I am dripping with grateful tears) I am so thankful to call you my Bonus Dad. Our time and our respectful father-daughter connection is irreplaceable. 

Happy Birthday Bob. You more than deserve such a wonderful day. 

I am celebrating you today. 

God shows off once again by placing you in my life for a divine reason. 

(YOU BETTER BE STRUMMING/PRACTICING THAT MANDOLIN!!!) 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Adam and Allie

Uke Time is Time Well Spent

The Universal Language