The Drip Drip Dry Dance

      I arrived at my studio apartment later friday night with all that I needed on my back, around my shoulders and in my hands. The apartment is located on the university grounds. To all my fellow Dukes, I've finally figured out the characteristics of where I am living. It's like James Madison University during the summer mixed with a ghost town. School starts thursday. It is not as gorgeous as JMU's campus but nonetheless when I took a walk tonight it reminded me of a typical college campus. There are lots of side streets, concrete tables and chairs, out door dining halls and a lot of vacant buildings. Instead of bikes there are motor cycles. Also, stray dogs are EVERYWHERE. I crossed paths with ten tonight. Some are friendlier than others, some will walk beside you, some come up behind you and scare the CRAP out of you.

Anyways I digress.

     It is inevitable to be anything other than sticky, oily, hot and/or sweaty.... all the time.  There are no towels in the apartment and I didn't bring ANY towel or anything that could substitute the form of a towel. I decided I would shower in the morning because I was moody, tired and too stubborn to do anything other than absorb the reality of my new home.

Next day

My thoughts:
No towel was going to prevent me from taking a shower, especially in this 80-90 degree weather. Using a t-shirt would have sufficed but I decided to get creative and even more minimalistic than using a t-shirt...

What do you do to dry yourself off when you have absolutely NO towel, not even a face towel?

The drip drip dry dance.

First and foremost, to establish the characteristics of this dance- the dance has to be unique to YOU and your style and you have to have a fast enough song in order to dry effectively.

Bounce around, jump, do the chicken dance, anything to drip drip dry! It actually worked in a matter of minutes I was completely dry and.... out of breath.

At the end of drip drip dry dance I looked myself in the mirror and gave myself a great big hug.

The things you do when you live alone and have no towel...

you adapt.
you invent.
you dance.
you learn to love yourself again.
that is what I am doing.

Give yourself a hug. Do it. Yes, it sounds cheesy. who cares. learn to love yourself and all your quirks.

Then go buy a towel :)

Here is my studio Apartment:


standing at front door. 

 opposite end 
(the polka dots were already there from previous teachers. 
first night they annoyed the crap out of me.. it's decoration but not my taste)


Bedroom. TOO MUCH ROOM. And too much bed. 
The mattress is a rock but I am getting use to it. 
I've never had a room this big. 
I actually prefer smaller rooms. 
The space makes me uncomfortable. 


To be honest, I was shocked at how empty the space was. It made me uncomfortable. I think more vacant space emphasized how solo I am. It's slowly becoming my humble abode. I added a paper map of Thailand to the wall in the main room. I have two balconies, one in my room and one off of the 'family' room. So far I am using the balcony in my room to have time with God and to hang my cloths to dry. 

Comments

  1. You are ridiculous and awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE to read your posts Miss Amy - so descriptive & insightful! But you gave me a scare...I'm reading about a drip dry dance and as I scroll to keep reading, I see there are photos coming...luckily, *not* of said dance :) Keep posting - I will keep reading!
    -Mama Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am imagining this dance....really fun to read. Thanks for sharing and I can tell I will enjoy watching your grow over the next 10 months, priorities change, looking at life through different eyes and more,... You are great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To: Adam and Allie

Uke Time is Time Well Spent

The Universal Language