Weekends = Go! Get out! Explore!


Here are snap shots of past weekends. This is my way of catching up on weekend travels over a long period of time. I normally travel with the same group of teachers from the program.  Bangkok is the perfect place to meet up and a great jumping-off point for our adventures. Unfortunately a few are leaving the country. Their semesters are up and they are continuing their journeys elsewhere... 


Ko Chang
In the beginning of August four of us went to Ko Chang for the Holiday. It was Mother's Day which happens to lie on the Queen's Birthday, August 12. Ko Chang is the second largest island in Thailand. I happen to live 2 hours away by public transit. There is lots to do on the island as well as lots of area to explore. We basked in some sunshine (for once), played Frisbee with the locals, stayed in a bungalow for less than $7 and another teacher and I swung from the trees in Ko Chang's lush jungle .

Kayla, brave as she can be.
George, George, George of the jungle, watch out for that... TREE! 



Birthday in Bangkok
The following weekend a few of us made our way to Bangkok to celebrate Kayla's 22nd birthday. We shopped at one of Bangkok's largest malls, Platinum, to find necessary accessories for the night's festivities. We made it to world's largest sky bar by sunset except, the clouds rolled in and covered what was a potentially stellar view of fire in the sky. It was still a stellar view, just with daunting pockets of gray-green looming over the city.


 


I had not laughed that hard in a long time. I think that went for all of us that night.
Kayla's embarrassing stories had us hurling over in a fit of laugher.
It felt so good to gain another pair of abs, it hurt.
Here's to celebrating mexican style  in Bangkok.
Candles on her quesadilla- whatever works!

 VISA SHMEEESA
I had to make a last minute run to Bangkok to sort out VISA business. Once that wild goose chase ended I began another to the Teachers Consult. Unfortunately it was closed until Monday. What does that mean? More time to travel. I already had plans to meet Kayla in Bangkok. We went to Dream World the following day. It wasn't exactly Disney World. I was actually disappointed with the park. Too high of expectations maybe? Simply put, it didn't have the same vibe as an American theme park. The atmosphere felt dull. Some of the rides gave you horrible whip lash due to the lack of head and neck support. We made the most of it though. That evening we made our way back to Kayla's town, Saraburi. I got to see a little bit of her town, school and try out the infamous waffle shop for breakfast the next morning. I made my way to Ayutthaya the following morning. This is where the old capital of Thailand use to be. Once I was all 'watt-ed' out, I took the train back to Bangkok. I stumbled upon a hostel and met a new friend, Kristen-Marie from Germany. We had such a pleasant conversation. I forgot how much I enjoyed just sitting and talking for hours about anything and everything- current events, travel stories, our journeys, food. Living in a small town where not many people speak english, you miss out on the things you once took for granted like, long, in-depth conversations. Being able to chat with someone without having to simplify everything you say in incomplete sentences in order to connect was refreshing. 




AYUTTHAYA!

Yes I did the self-guided tour and yes liked it.
It wouldn't have been a meaningful trip without it!
Nerd Status.



The train back to Bangkok was an hour late.... why am I not surprised. #thaitimeatitsfinest
My journey ended at meeting and hanging out with this awesome lady from Germany at a hostel near the station. The weekend was a success. I got to travel, hang out with old and new friends AND I got everything taken care of at Immigration and Teacher's Council. Check! 



They Come To Chan!
Kayla and Kiara came to Chanthaburi ('Jan-taa-buri', I can never say it right.) It was a low-key weekend filled with lots of eating. That is what my town has, a lot of street food venders, restaurants and a surplus amount of bakeries/coffee shops. It's a little absurd and repetitive. We went to the Chao Lao Beach which is only a hop and a skip away by song-toa (transportation by mini truck). We mangaed to pile 3 on my tiny scooter and scoot around town that afternoon to check out old town and Thailand's largest Cathedral. The weekend was more about hanging out with each other and being comfortable with doing nothing in the presence of uke music and tea in hand. Sunday morning, we were intent on finding a western breakfast place, but all the coffee shops sell strictly drinks and little sweet snacks. We discovered a place that served thai breakfast but that's an entirely different kind of morning food. 



Thai style is family style dinners. I could get used to this.

Tried Thai slushi drinks with our meal. It's not the same as a cocktail which we were determined to order but the owner of the restaurant stubbornly insisted we try the Thai slushi drink. So be it. 


Late night dessert mmmmm. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Adam and Allie

Uke Time is Time Well Spent

The Universal Language